Sunday 21 August 2011

Formula Renault 3.5, Silverstone Race Two - Late comer Wickens on top in qualifying

Despite arriving at Silverstone late courtesy of the frantic Silverstone traffic, Robert Wickens maintained his supremacy at the Northamptonshire circuit by taking his second pole of the weekend ahead of team mate Jean-Eric Vergne.

The Canadian topped the time sheets with a lap of 1:45.379, almost three tenths quicker than championship rival Vergne.

And after enjoying a commanding victory yesterday, Wickens was relieved that his late entry into the circuit was not too much of a hinderance.

He said: “On track everything was great. The car was fantastic and everything just went well.

“Once I got into the car everything just calmed down and I was able just to work on my driving.

“Obviously I am really pleased with the pole, but I am more pleased for the team that we have a one-two and hopefully we can do well in the team’s championship today.”

Carlin has totally dominated this year’s championship, with both drivers occupying the top two positions in the Drivers standings.

What’s more, the British team has scored 325 points, more than double that of Fortec Motorsport who have bagged 157 over the campaign.

And the Formula Renault 3.5 championship leader paid tribute to the Carlin's performance along with his team mate’s contributions over the course of the season.

“Carlin is Carlin. I knew before I joined that (success) is why I wanted to join.

“They are a fantastic team and one of our cars has been in a winning position at every single race this year and I think it just shows how strong the car is.

“Also, I think having a strong team mate like Jean-Eric and myself means we push each other hard and it also brings up the level of the car.

“There is always corners where I’m quicker and corners where he is quicker and we work with each other and we just build up and we keep pushing each other further and its why we have seen so many one-twos in qualifying from us this year.”

Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment