Wednesday 24 August 2011

Onboard at Spa-Francorchamps

One of my first ever blog posts featured me listing my favourite Formula One circuit. If my memory serves me correctly, I listed Suzuka as my preferred track on the calendar. Well, I have changed my mind. Nothing can top Spa. The fearsome nature of this historic circuit, hidden amongst the Ardennes valleys, is one of the most popular races of the season and after a four week summer break, is the perfect location to resume the 2011 season.

A preview, not to mention a couple of surprise additions, will be featured on this blog in the coming days. However, before I get down to that, here are some stunning onboard laps around the most beautiful circuit in the world. Enjoy.



Giancarlo Fisichella had talent in abundance. I feel he never truly delivered on his undoubted potential but, occasionally, and when conditions suited him he was supreme. I was at Reading Festival in 2009 so missed the whole Spa weekend, so watched qualifying and the race once I was home. I could not believe what I was seeing: a Force India on pole? What's more, Fisichella was only beaten by Kimi Raikkonen come race day because he was KERS'd into Les Combes. Otherwise, it could have been the greatest shock in F1 history.



There are many stand out points from this video. First of all it is wet, a common occurrence at Spa with its inclement weather patterns. Next is the sound of that stunning, screaming Renault V10 engine. And then final comes Jarno Trulli's pole lap from 2004, where he is so smooth yet throwing his Renault into the corners. A wonderful lap, showcasing Jarno's unquestionable one-lap attributes.



Many of you may be slightly surprised that Ricardo Zonta features in one of my onboard highlights. However, he played a very significant role in arguably the greatest overtake in F1 history. With leader Michael Schumacher being caught by Mika Hakkinen, they came up to the lap the BAR driver. Schumacher went to the right while Hakkinen ducked to left, executing a brilliant, opportunistic move to take the win. More of the same this weekend, please.

Josh.

No comments:

Post a Comment